Once a year werberg is open to the public – starting this year regularly every second to last saturday in july. The small village of rhondorf on the edge of the wildflecken military training area awoke from its slumber for the werberg meeting, which has been held without interruption since 1973. Even more than 50 years after the last relocation in 1966, werberg "has lost none of its magic", said isabell geck of the interessengemeinschaft (IG) ehemalige werberger (association of former werbergers).
It was a "mystical place of magic that we wanted to rediscover". 150 visitors walked the mostly impassable paths to discover werberg’s secrets. For some it is "sledding on the weiben weg and hardly come back up the mountain", for the other "the best fruit of my life. Werberg was not blessed with fertile farmland, but it was blessed with fruit trees, which the former inhabitants continued to help themselves to even after they had been relocated. So there was not a lot of fruit left over, but there were memories of a time in werberg that was full of privation, but still good.
Former residents met old schoolmates or acquaintances again. Every werberg secret is known to klaus penner, who had to leave werberg with his parents when he was 12 years old. He told of the trumpet signal that sounded from the old castle and called for the fire department to be called out, and of the way to school that "went up the black path and then slid down again after class on the slate" led.
Personal anecdotes were supplemented by matthias elm with historical facts: the castle had originally been built to secure the border between the fuldian and wurzburgian areas. Even king maximilian II was involved in the construction plans for the church, which was completed in 1853. Been involved. Although they had wanted their own church for a long time, it had not been "customary to go to church" in werberg until then, reported elm.
The way to the church on the volkersberg was probably too arduous. Before werberg had its own cemetery, the people of werberg buried their deceased in kothen. Due to a church dispute, however, the people of werberg were not allowed to enter the kothen church, which accelerated the construction of their own cemetery in 1859. The one on the area with the flurname "ruhroth" has been destroyed created. Presumably the cemetery of the castle had already been located there.
Youth at the front
Between 1926 and 1936, a pile of house fires gave werberg the derisive name of "neubrandenburg" received. The corpus of the hohmann cross in the former center of the village disappeared between 1938 and the end of the war in 1945, as did many wayside shrines in the area. From 1942 on, werberg was a "wehrertuchtigungslager" (military training camp). After four weeks of "basic training the young people were sent to the front – also to russia. According to eyewitnesses, "the russians took pity on the minors and sent them back home", female matthias elm.
Filmy hit songs
In 1938, the year of the resettlement, the wehrmacht, which accommodated its soldiers in the houses of the former residents, built a bathhouse. From 1946 this served as a home for displaced persons. In 1955, emma and franz graf opened the inn "zum egerlander" there, which was well known in the surrounding villages. There were regular musical events, but also movie-like schlagereien with US soldiers. "Funny and hearty", so the unanimous opinion of the visitors, it went there to. Not only old friends met at the meeting. Even relatives got to know each other who knew nothing about each other until today.
For his many years of service to the werberg meetings, isabell geck honored ewald kleinhenz on behalf of the former werberg members. "From the beginning, he organized the werberg meetings, was always in the background, but was always present", says isabell geck. Ewald kleinhenz was more than surprised and wished "that the werberg meeting would continue". Motten’s first mayor, jochen vogel (CSU), was pleased that "the tradition is being maintained". Deacon wilfried beck held a prayer service and commemoration of the dead at the newly established werberg cemetery, which has been a memorial site since 1976. The deacon finds it "nice when you always go back to your roots".